Monday, August 20, 2012

Blaring Gaps in Knowledge: Barney Stinson


Barney Stinson doesn't know how to use tools.

This is something my father taught me on our ranch in Utah. Whether we were fixing a fence post, or rebuilding the manger or moving the chickens from one coop to the other, I'd be there with my dad. And although I hated it at the time because it was work instead of play, it was outside with my hay fever instead of inside with Super Mario Brothers, it was boring instead of fascinating, looking back on it now, I am grateful for the time I got to spend with my dad, as he was teaching me things I might have to use one day.

Like how to use a post hole digger or fencer's pliers.

He also taught me how to skin a carcass quick and easy, how to filet a fish in two cuts, and how to slaughter chickens so they don't feel anything.

Barney, unfortunately, did not have this experience. And maybe this is why he has such a keen ability to read the needs of, and thereby earn the adoration, of girls with daddy issues. He has them too.

Although he may never have to fix anything around the house nor work chores on a farm nor even hunt or fish for his dinner, he's missing out. Not because it's an important skill to have, but because it's one of the ways dad's fix their kids lives and become their heroes.

We think, if my dad can fix it with just that tool, maybe I can fix things too. If I have the right tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment