Monday, August 20, 2012

Blaring Gaps in Knowledge: Ted Mosby's "Chameleon"


Ted Mosby, professor of architecture, knows a great deal about a great many things. He is a connoisseur of most cultural things including fine wines, architecture (of course!) and poetry. He delights in mental challenges and has a keen eye for subtle nuances that make the difference between something well-crafted and something that is clearly art. But for all his knowledge and upbringing and classical education, he has one blaring gap in knowledge.

He mispronounces the word "chameleon."

Somehow, he has avoided the jeers and jests of others who know better. Somehow, he was never corrected by a teacher and somehow, he even managed to never hear "Karma Chameleon" by Boy George, or if he did, he did not make the connection between the two words which, contextually, seem to have the same meaning.

And not that there's much call for using the word in every day life. I mean I don't think I've even used it in everyday speech except for maybe sharing a YouTube video of the Mimic Octopus that can changes its colors like a chameleon, but even then, I'm usually writing the word instead of saying it out loud.

Still, to hear him say "chameleon" with a /ch/ sound instead of a /k/ sound is like the first time I heard someone annunciate "I can has cheezburger?" It sounded wrong, it sounded insulting, it sounded like someone spat on my language and I couldn't hide the icky taste as it sat on my tongue. Like a chunk of chewy chicken gristle.

4 comments:

  1. Do you mean glaring instead of blaring? I suppose blaring could make sense...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I intentionally chose blaring. I am aware that the normal cliche is "glaring" but I try to avoid cliches like the plague. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "And we all have a friend like this, someone who gives teh benefit of the doubt to everyone"

    Giving you the benefit of the doubt, "the" is a tricky word.

    ReplyDelete